Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default PVC for air

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:16:36 +0000, Frank Stutzman wrote:

Max wrote:
Is there any consensus on whether or not to use PVC or CPVC for air lines?

I did my air in black iron pipe, mostly because of the dangers of
exploding PVC as already mentioned by other posters. In hindsight, I'm
wondering if I might have done better with PVC.

All of my lines are in the walls of my shop. There is 1/2 inch plywood on
one side of them and steel siding on the other. I'd do black iron pipe
where it came through the wall, but other than that the PVC would be
well protected.

Anybody wager a guess if an exploding 1 inch PVC pipe could go through 1/2
inch plywood? The pipes couldn't be hit by anything, but summer heat
might soften the PVC to the point it would burst

How much is it going to cost you to tear the wall out and replace a busted
pipe?

--
Frank Stutzman