Keith D

Default MK dimmers v the others

"Frisket" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:53:32 +0100, "Keith D" munged @ munged . com
wrote:

Hi,
I have just returned an MK £27 2 Gang 2 Way (single gang plate)

white
dimmer to B&Q as I thought it was more than I needed. It was one that

could
handle low voltage stuff but it added £15 to the cost from what I could

see.
Anyway, after getting the refund I proceeded not to be able to find a

2G
2W
MK white dimmer just for mains halogen. I was a bit puzzled since the

B&Q
'Varilight'? range had both options plus the soft start facility. I'm
trawling the Internet at the moment having trouble finding any sign of

an
MK
dimmer other than the expensive one! It has made me think of a couple

of
questions : Are MK worth the trouble ? For no particular reason I've
convinced myself that I should buy MK and only MK. Also, what other

brands
can the group recommend - ideally a quality build with a nice smooth

action.
The varilight ones are a tad too loose. Is there such a thing as a

decent
white 2G 2W single plate soft start mains only dimmer - it's not too

much
ask :-) ? ... or am I going to have to brave the crowds again and
purchase the originally returned unit once more ? Is there a website

that
you guys 'n' gals can recommend that sells absolutely every switch

known
man. I've already tried TLC-Direct and no joy there I'm afraid.

Thanks for any help,
Keith

I used MK grid type modular dimmers (4500 series) and switches for my
kitchen, one for each group of mains or LV halogens of HF mini
fluorescents as appropriate.

The dimmers soft start and the advantage of the grid arrangement is
that you can have whatever arrangement of switches you like.

I standardised on using MK wiring accessories some while ago and
rarely buy anything else - I do think that the extra cost is
worthwhile. Having said that, I don't buy from B&Q but from an
electrical wholesaler where I have been able to get them to sharpen
their pencils on pricing.

Another aspect is that the designs are around for quite a long time.
I don't trust store brands, simply because they will change vendor at
the drop of a hat, making it impossible to match existing fittings.
.andy

I wish I could afford to standardise on MK! They are the Rolls Royce of
electrical gear - I have to use Vymark - more like Ford Cortinas. Could be
worse, my local wholesaler has started supplying a make which must remain
nameless (we're fitting hundreds on several sites) which would give Lada a
good name!

Thanks for the replies. Is there an on-line shop that sells the full MK
dimmer range or am I going to have to go back to B&Q to re-purchase the
original over-specified dimmer :-( ? Is there a mains only downlighter
double dimmer from MK or am I going to have to buy the LV capable one ?

Keith