Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

Nate Nagel wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:42:17 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove

wrote:

Let me clarify. You can connect it to your main cold water pipe
within five feet of where it enters the building. You can also
connect it to the fuse box or anything that is grounding the fuse box

No you can't. Bad advice.

CWM

Well, the water pipe should be bonded; it just shouldn't be used as a
primary ground. I agree, the correct method would be to use grounding
stakes (several) and ground the panel that way and then bond the water
pipe to the panel (as well as installing bonding jumpers around the
meter and the HWH)

nate

Nate
Explain this. The premise in question is served by a metallic water
line lateral connected to an underground water system that stretches
over several hundred square miles. No how many stakes; what we here
call rods; will it take to have a better grounding electrode system;
what you folks call an earthing array if I remember correctly; than that
public water system. Hint it can't be done.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison