Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

Once again your information is incorrect. "S" type fuse adapters can be
screwed into the plug fuse sockets and only the proper size fuse can be
used. They are UL approved and happen to be safer in many respects that
circuit breakers, and I'd rather doubt any insurance company would have an
issue with them

wrote in message
ups.com...

John F. F. wrote:
Hello toAll...............As the original poster on the K&T and cloth
wiring
questions I certainly appreciate all the input and observations. First
when
I sell the house I will definitely repost the results as requested. As
the insurance. I only purchased the house ( upstate NY) 5 years ago and I
bought full fire/casualty/etc. insurance and had no problems insuring it.
From what I've read here I certainly don't want to deal with State Farm
in
spite of their commercials. However, I am still unclear what changing to
breaker panel does for me (with the exception that it will look more
modern)
if the current wiring still remains ungrounded. Also if I do run "green"
wire to the current fuse panel ground and then change the receptacles to
3-prong will I now be in violation because the K&T and cloth would no
longer have ungrounded 2-prong receptacles? Also because all the wiring
is
grandfathered and no work has been done to it the NYS real estate board
says
that this does NOT require to be disclosed as a major defect nor because
someone says it is a major defect. The reason I checked this was that
the
(now fired) real estate woman who had decided to appoint herself as the
authority on all things electrical and structural insisted I add the
wiring as a MAJOR PROBLEM. Be all that as it may however, I would like
come up with a solution if there is one that wasn't just "tear it all
out".
I'd rather not spend 15% of the selling price just to say to a buyer look
new panel. Once again thanks for all the input. John

Few insurance companies will provide homeowners insurance for fuse
boxes anymore, too many people say well a 15 amp blows, so make it a 20
amp, oh what the heck \
heres a 30. I have a good friend like that who has K&T and 30 amp
fuses on 14 gauge wiring, one day his home will cease to exist

Have you found a new realtor who doesnt call the wiring a problem?
if a realtor knowling covers up or assists in covering up or is even
part of this their agency can be sued or even lose their license.

Just to play devils advocate you have only owned this home 5 years....
what about the 100 years previous? how can you be certain someone didnt
muck with it?

Having sold a home 2 years ago its horrible and I certinally wish you
the best but fear any buyer you get will want the wiring replaced

curious is your home priced much less than surrounding ones? 40 grand
today is pretty cheap, in california the exact same home would likey be
half a million bucks.