Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ??

wrote:
Hi,

I own a house built in the 1950's so currently none of the outlets are
grounded. idealy/eventually i want to add a grounding rod and rewire
the house but until then i was wondering how good of an idea replacing
all the 2-prong outlets with GFCIs is ? My understanding is that such
a replacement is blessed by the NEC ?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Yes, a GFCI will work and offer protection without a ground. You
don't need to replace all the outlets. Any outlets that are fed
downstream from the one with the GFCI are also protected.