Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

The only real problem with K&T is that much of it has been abused and
misused over the years. If the wiring is brittle, usually from
overheating from air conditioners and such, or kitchen circuits, or
light fixtures, yes, it's time for it to go. OTOH, some K&T, usually
in well maintained historic sections have been well taken care of and
is still good. I've seen more bad K&T than good, though. That's
probably one reason many insurance companies won't touch it with a 10
foot pole.

OTOH, some insurance companies and financial institutions usually only
require that the service be upgraded and some kitchen circuits be
added. In a 900 Sq. Ft. house with gas appliances, that's about all
that would be needed. In some areas that's all that would be required.
In my area, not so, not only do we have to re-wire everything, but
must also tear out all of the K&T.

You see there are TWO ISSUES NEC which grandfathers stuff in and
mortage and insurance companies who set their OWN RULES.

Now its IMPOSSIBLE to inspect all the K&T since its buried in walls,
lacks boxes and is often abused by ACs and other heavy loads. Honestly
wouldnt it cost more to inspect it than rewire?

The last part of his post says from a PRO ............ not only replace
it all but rip out all the old K&T thats so someone doesnt decide to
reuse it in the future