Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

makes you so sure that
the (prospective) seller *must* disclose it? The report came from an
electrician hired by a prospective buyer: are you a real estate lawyer,
and can therefore tell us that this makes disclosure mandatory? I'm not,
and I can't.

Not that he shouldn't, of course; besides which, no buyer in their right
mind should buy the house before determining the type and condition of
wiring in the house.

In any case, it's far from a show-stopper for selling the house. Lots of
old houses have old wiring that should be, or has to be, replaced, and
buyers are (or should be) aware of this. It all comes down to figuring
it into the selling price.

I sold a home about 2 years ago, the first buyer backed out after the
home inspection. The realtor said I HAD to give all shoppers access to
the first home inspection since it was now part of the disclosure
process..

I fixed mearly every issue the first inspector found, except the attic
temp which was more than 15 degrees hotter than the outside on a hot
july day. Home inspector one said I had to add vent fans even though I
had ridge and gable end vents. oddly the second inspector said it wasnt
a problem.

today selling a home is a minefield of hassles even when your home is
in great shape.

first home inspector complained no GFCI on sump pump, second inspector
complained it WAS protected, I had added a GFCI for the pump.