Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

In article . com,
says...
How does insurance know what type of wiring is in the house? When they
inspected my 1935 house they only took pictures of outside and measure
square footage outside. They never came inside.

There are huge variations in insurance inspection requirements depending
on your insurance company, the age of your house, and the type of
insurance you are applying for.

When I insured my house a couple of years ago, because of its age (100+
years old, which is unusual in Washington State) and apparent condition
(previous owners hadn't painted in decades), it got an inside-and-out
inspection by a senior loss adjuster from the insurance company.

He not only verified that the house had mostly K&T wiring, he inspected
the condition of the wiring where it was reasonably accessible, the
attic, the crawlspace, etc., and pulled a few outlets to inspect them in
the kitchen and bath, since those are locations that tend to be
overloaded with modern appliances in older homes.

After confirming that the K&T was in good shape, and addressing some
other issues, he had no objections, and our insurance went through just
fine.

I'm far from alone in that, I know personally at least a dozen homes
insured in the last year with K&T wiring.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/