Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

Just my $0.02 here; I lived for neary 30 years in a neighborhood with
120 + year old homes. At one time I owned 4 rentals in additon to my
own home. All were insured. About 10 years ago I moved to a "new"
neighborhood of larger houses with larger yards; the average age of a
house here I would estimated to be "only" 80 -100 years. Many of these
homes had K&T systems making up some part of their electrical system.

I know dozens of howmowners besides myself. It surely may be
different in different areas, but I've never heard of a single
instance of an insurance co even _asking_ about what type of
wiring was in a home, and except in connection with a claim, I've
never heard of an insurance company sending someone inside a home
to inspect the wiring or anything else.

Now appraisers are a different story...
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.