Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

Yes that's correct and if you had read the NEC 250.131c , you would find
that by attaching the water line, and ground rods, etc, together it forms
the grounding electrode system, and that a grounding conductor for a
replacement grounding outlet ,can be attached to any part of that system,
which includes the main cold water pipe extending no more than five feet
into the building

"HeyBub" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
When "because charlie morgan says" becomes the bible on electrical
wiring, I'll listen to you, but until then I tend to go by the
"National Electric Code", which backs up my statements in the section
referenced

Then your code book is wrong. The purpose of attaching a ground to a water
pipe is to ground the water pipe!

This protects the homeowner or plumber when dealing with a (possibly
broken) electrical appliance near the pipes.