Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

Your house is typical of early twentieth century houses, and like you,
incrementally folks disconnect sections of the old wiring and run new
wiring. Fact is K&T wiring has held up quite well, and if the powers that be
didn't change to a grounded system around the fifties, we probably wouldn't
be having this conversation

"KLS" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:00:40 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

You squawk a lot about the impossibility of insuring houses with K&T
wiring.
I can tell you for a fact, as a licensed electrical contractor for over
thirty years, I have MANY customers in Westchester county, NY with K&T in
their homes, and believe it or not, they ALL have homeowner insurance

I'm not in Westchester County, I'm in Monroe County, NY, and I do have
homeowner's insurance for full replacement value of my house, built in
1930, which I'm also sure has K&T throughout the house (we moved in
here in April 2003 and met a really nice 60 amp circuit breaker box,
which we immediately upgraded to 200 amps). Yes, I'd love to replace
it all, but I'm first putting in new circuits as a way of taking
entire areas of the house off of what I consider to be overloaded
circuits.

A house with K&T is not unsaleable necessarily. Take a chill pill,
hallberb.

wrote in message
roups.com...

For $40,000 the buyer should expect a few things not to be perfect.
A buyer insisted I pay for a new roof. Sure, it needed a new roof, but
so
what?
The next week I sold for the full asking price.

So, unless $40,000 is too high you shouldn't be thinking of fixing
anything.

when was that? sorry its no longer a sellers market and the fact
remains most insurance companies will not write new policies on home
with K&T and a buyer CANT buy a home without homeowners insurance and
even a cash buyer will want homeowners.......

Thje OPs home isnt saleable as is and this problem must by law be
disclosed to all future buyers.

It cost big bucks to keep a vacant home alive, insurance, utilities,
repairs.

might be better off to reconsider that buyer................

there is NO FIX short of rewiring that will make that K&T disappear