Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:00:40 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

You squawk a lot about the impossibility of insuring houses with K&T wiring.
I can tell you for a fact, as a licensed electrical contractor for over
thirty years, I have MANY customers in Westchester county, NY with K&T in
their homes, and believe it or not, they ALL have homeowner insurance

I'm not in Westchester County, I'm in Monroe County, NY, and I do have
homeowner's insurance for full replacement value of my house, built in
1930, which I'm also sure has K&T throughout the house (we moved in
here in April 2003 and met a really nice 60 amp circuit breaker box,
which we immediately upgraded to 200 amps). Yes, I'd love to replace
it all, but I'm first putting in new circuits as a way of taking
entire areas of the house off of what I consider to be overloaded
circuits.

A house with K&T is not unsaleable necessarily. Take a chill pill,
hallberb.

wrote in message
oups.com...

For $40,000 the buyer should expect a few things not to be perfect.
A buyer insisted I pay for a new roof. Sure, it needed a new roof, but
so
what?
The next week I sold for the full asking price.

So, unless $40,000 is too high you shouldn't be thinking of fixing
anything.

when was that? sorry its no longer a sellers market and the fact
remains most insurance companies will not write new policies on home
with K&T and a buyer CANT buy a home without homeowners insurance and
even a cash buyer will want homeowners.......

Thje OPs home isnt saleable as is and this problem must by law be
disclosed to all future buyers.

It cost big bucks to keep a vacant home alive, insurance, utilities,
repairs.

might be better off to reconsider that buyer................

there is NO FIX short of rewiring that will make that K&T disappear