Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Tips and tricks, toilet flapper chain?

Eric in North TX wrote:
I've had several of these knot up over the years, not regularly enough
to just replace them, just often enough to be an annoyance. I've tried
many types, all seem to have some draw-back. I'm looking for product
recommendations, modifications, anything anyone has done that worked
for years. I can tell you some things that don't work; the rubber
straps with the arrow shaped stops (too rigid), the fluid master black
plastic chain (worst knotting problem to date, it floats hence the
tangles).

Fishing line. I use 30 pound monofilament. The
hardest part for me is tying the knots since I'm
not a fisherman, so my knots look a bit gross.
You need to carefully use the amount that leaves
only a little slack in the line when the flapper
is down so that you don't have any excess to catch
on parts.

I've been using if for nearly about 10 years and
never had a problem; no problem with the line but
the flappers wear out. Currently one toilet
(about 30 years old) has had the same flapper and
and fishing line for about 5 years. Newest toilet
is a replacement(about 4 years old), and I will
certainly fix it with fishing line when it
develops a problem.