Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ejb@ts-aligner.com is offline

Default Jointer Trouble

Thanks for the detailed reply Prometheus.

Prometheus wrote:
Only thing that has irritated me about you is your paranoid attitude
that everyone is out to get you, and it's manifestation as a
willingness to attack like a bulldog at the slightest provocation.

When I read this my first reaction was to re-read what transpired in
various threads, including this one. While I don't think that I'm
being paranoid or attacking people like a bulldog, it is quite possible
that I'm so focused on the moment that I miss the big picture. I
invite you to do the same thing - especially in this thread. After
some careful introspection I really don't believe that your words
characterize my behavior. If you still believe that you have
accurately described the situation, then I would consider it a big
favor if you point it out to me.

I'm not terribly insulted by you- I'm arguing with you, because I can
take a punch on the chin. Sometimes, that leads to a cold beer and
some frank conversation that clears the bull**** out of the air- and
sometimes it leads to this.

Well, the air does nead some clearing, that's for sure. I would be
honored to buy you a beer and you are most welcome to visit my shop any
time you are in the area. I don't know if I'll ever be in your area
because I don't know what your area is. But you are always welcome in
my neck of the woods.

In my review of this thread in particular, it still seems as if I just
couldn't express any opinion or explain any position without raising
your cockles. I didn't say any of these things with the intent to
insult you or anyone else. I understand how disturbing it is to have
one's passions and achievements mistakenly characterized in
unflattering ways. If I did this to you then I apologize.

The whole purpose of my products is to facilitate a level of accuracy
and precision that eliminates the need for trial and error (test cuts)
with woodworking machines. This is going to be offensive to people who
hold these techniques dear. It is also going to be offensive to people
who believe such a goal is impossible because their own efforts have
been met with failure. Most often these people respond with critical
remarks like "it's unnecessary", "it's more trouble than it's worth",
"it has no merrit". I challenge these statements with pointed
questions and embarrassing scenarios. When challenged they generally
attempt to villify me in some way. More often than not, they try to
protray me as arrogantly running around attacking people for advocating
anything other than my products.

I still don't understand what skills and techniques you have been
talking about. You say that they are not "trial and error". But when
I characterize "trial and error" as a rudimentary and primitive
technique you say that I'm being offensive. If they are not trial and
error, then they are not related to my products. My products do not
exist to put down any particular trade group or skill set. I do not
want to promote my products to people who don't need or want them.
But, I won't sit by and let my passions and achievements be mistakenly
characterized in unflattering ways without being challenged. It's not
an unprovoked attack, it's a very carefully measured response. The
goal is to discover (expose) motive. It doesn't have to be painful or
insulting but some people prefer that to honesty.

I'm not going to respond to each point of expertise that I mentioned in
the earlier message. Your response tells me that the intent was
completely missed. I realize now that I probably should have never
posted it. I was very frustrated with your response and with a few
other messages from you in the group. I should have let it go for a
day or two and then I would have been better able to respond to your
message. I didn't write it to put you down or to put down the skills
that you obviously possess and use to earn a living. I'm sorry that
you took it that way and felt the need to strike back. I hope that you
don't miss the intended meaning and that your future postings in the NG
will be better as a result.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com