Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default types of light sensor

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:02:57 GMT, SirBenjamin wrote:

I suppose really he could take the innards out of the outdoor passive
light encase them into a metal box and mount the sensor also in the
box.

You don't have to do that you can get stand alone PIRs. I think one of
the recent CPC flyers had a ceiling mounted 360 deg jobbie.

But the big snag is that PIRs do need movement to keep 'em triggered.
Stand or sit still long enough and the lights go out. I fitted a PIR to
the kitchen light in my flat so I didn't leave the 180W of light burning
away every evening. Worked very well, light came on as I entered and a
wave when it goes off whilst doing the washing up.

Donno if an intruder alarm PIR with the "anti creep" feature would be of
any use, would need an interface and power supply though.

Education of daughters to enter darkened rooms would be better in the
long term but appreciate that in the short term the technological
solution has a lot going for it. Darkness mid wee excepted... I can hear
the scream from here!

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail