Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My drill chuck fell off; how to reattach?

In article ,
Toller wrote:
I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today the
chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off once...
Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to fall off
again?

It should be installed clean and dry. make sure there are no burrs or
other defects that will interfere with seating the taper. If necessary
you can clean any up with a file, remove the absolute minimum amount
of metal that will let the taper fully seat. Clean both the male &
female tapers with a drying solvent, automotive type brake cleaner
works well. When it is clean and dry proceed to install as you
described above. Don't put any locktite on it. The most common reason
for one of these chucks to (unintentionally) fall off is putting some
kind of side load on the shaft.
on the drill.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -