Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My drill chuck fell off; how to reattach?

I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today the
chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off once...
Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to fall off
again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

These tapers are a bit tricky. They hold like iron until . . ..

Make sure that the surfaces are clean. When you think they are
really clean, clean them one more time. Alcohol, acetone, lacquer
thinner work well. In that process, make sure there are no burrs
or problems with either the male or female taper.

A light application of chalk will help seat the taper. A
substantial swat with a hammer (protect the chuck with a block of
wood) should have it well set.

Drill presses are not meant for side loading. It is this motion
that may have tripped yours loose.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Toller" wrote in message
I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago.
Today the chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but
a bit of a shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the
jaws and hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if
it fell off once... Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to
make it less likely to fall off again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today the
chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off once...
Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to fall off
again?

You do not say the means of attachment from the chuck to the drill
press that allowed the chuck to "fall off".

Since it is a "large benchtop" I assume a morse or jacobs taper is
involved......it this is the case

clean the male & female parts of the taper with a solvent.....if you
use carb cleaner, oil slightly & then clean again w/ acetone.

make sure both parts a really clean...also check for any imperfections
in the taper surfaces & burnish off carefully

re-install the chuck...should work

locktite.....not a great idea since both tapers should work w/o it &
loctite will make future disassembly difficult

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

The cloth with acetone gave back black. The deceased probably didn't clean
it before assembly. All is well now.

No side loading; I was boring a 1.5" hole in kingwood. The dust was so
heavy it looked like steam. Fortunately I had an air cleaner on and a
dust mask.

"Toller" wrote in message
I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today
the chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a
shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off
once... Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to
fall off again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller spake thus:

The cloth with acetone gave back black. The deceased probably didn't clean
it before assembly. All is well now.

No side loading; I was boring a 1.5" hole in kingwood. The dust was so
heavy it looked like steam. Fortunately I had an air cleaner on and a
dust mask.

Unrelated question: what is "kingwood"? Sounds like ironwood or
something extremely hard (of course, "ironwood" is also a catch-all name
that includes dozens of wood species ...).

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Toller spake thus:

The cloth with acetone gave back black. The deceased probably didn't
clean it before assembly. All is well now.

No side loading; I was boring a 1.5" hole in kingwood. The dust was so
heavy it looked like steam. Fortunately I had an air cleaner on and a
dust mask.

Unrelated question: what is "kingwood"? Sounds like ironwood or something
extremely hard (of course, "ironwood" is also a catch-all name that
includes dozens of wood species ...).

It is in the same genus as cocobolo and rosewood. Very dense and hard.
Exquisite wood, think varigated rosewood; I got a "buy" on it at $20/bf. I
will find out on Monday whether or not it can be glued when I try to turn my
glued up block.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Toller wrote:
I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today the
chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off once...
Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to fall off
again?

It should be installed clean and dry. make sure there are no burrs or
other defects that will interfere with seating the taper. If necessary
you can clean any up with a file, remove the absolute minimum amount
of metal that will let the taper fully seat. Clean both the male &
female tapers with a drying solvent, automotive type brake cleaner
works well. When it is clean and dry proceed to install as you
described above. Don't put any locktite on it. The most common reason
for one of these chucks to (unintentionally) fall off is putting some
kind of side load on the shaft.
on the drill.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Toller spake thus:

The cloth with acetone gave back black. The deceased probably didn't
clean it before assembly. All is well now.

No side loading; I was boring a 1.5" hole in kingwood. The dust was so
heavy it looked like steam. Fortunately I had an air cleaner on and a
dust mask.

Unrelated question: what is "kingwood"? Sounds like ironwood or something
extremely hard (of course, "ironwood" is also a catch-all name that
includes dozens of wood species ...).

It is in the same genus as cocobolo and rosewood. Very dense and hard.
Exquisite wood, think varigated rosewood; I got a "buy" on it at $20/bf. I
will find out on Monday whether or not it can be glued when I try to turn my
glued up block.

If it's similar to rosewood, you might want to consider wiping the glue
surfaces with solvent (acetone or similar) before gluing, as the resins
interfere with bonding. But you already know that.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:42:54 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today the
chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off once...
Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to fall off
again?

I had the same thing happen. I never was able to get it to stay on.
I considered using JB Weld, but I just bought another drill press at
an auction and scrapped the old one, cuz I got tired of fighting with
it. You'd think they would have a keyed shaft or some other BETTER
method of putting the chucks on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tapered is the normal way for a chuck to be installed, even on substantial
sized industrial drill presses and it works fine if it's seated correctly.
I would guess you had a burr or ding or didn't properly clean the one you
couldn't get to seat and stay. The tapered seat IS the better way.

--

Mike S.