Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default My drill chuck fell off; how to reattach?

The cloth with acetone gave back black. The deceased probably didn't clean
it before assembly. All is well now.

No side loading; I was boring a 1.5" hole in kingwood. The dust was so
heavy it looked like steam. Fortunately I had an air cleaner on and a
dust mask.

"DanG" wrote in message
These tapers are a bit tricky. They hold like iron until . . ..

Make sure that the surfaces are clean. When you think they are really
clean, clean them one more time. Alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner work
well. In that process, make sure there are no burrs or problems with
either the male or female taper.

A light application of chalk will help seat the taper. A substantial swat
with a hammer (protect the chuck with a block of wood) should have it well
set.

Drill presses are not meant for side loading. It is this motion that may
have tripped yours loose.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Toller" wrote in message
I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today
the chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a
shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off
once... Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to
fall off again?