Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default My drill chuck fell off; how to reattach?

Toller wrote:
I bought a large benchtop drill at an auction a couple weeks ago. Today the
chuck fell off while I was using it. No harm done, but a bit of a shock.

I found the instructions on the internet; you just retract the jaws and
hammer it on with a soft hammer. I can do that, but if it fell off once...
Can you put anything on it (locktite?) to make it less likely to fall off
again?

You do not say the means of attachment from the chuck to the drill
press that allowed the chuck to "fall off".

Since it is a "large benchtop" I assume a morse or jacobs taper is
involved......it this is the case

clean the male & female parts of the taper with a solvent.....if you
use carb cleaner, oil slightly & then clean again w/ acetone.

make sure both parts a really clean...also check for any imperfections
in the taper surfaces & burnish off carefully

re-install the chuck...should work

locktite.....not a great idea since both tapers should work w/o it &
loctite will make future disassembly difficult

cheers
Bob