Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default How do you know a new circuit breaker is protecting the circuit properly?

wrote:
BobH wrote:
I am changing a 50-amp breaker to a 30-amp one to install an oven
that draws less current than the old one did. I have seen
information here about testing a bad circuit breaker, but how do you
test a good one? In other words, if I install a new breaker, how do
I know it will trip if the load exceeds 30 amps?

There is no need to change the breaker to match the load, as long as
all the associated wiring is rated for 50A.

Dave

Well, actually, there is. In fact, many local codes would require a change
in this case. 48 amps thru a 50 amp breaker into an appliance that is rated
for 30A would indeed be a fire hazard at the appliance itself or wherever
the extra current is going to.

Calls to the local code enforcement are quick, short, and the best way to be
sure of what the codes say, and logic and common sense says to use the right
sized breaker.