Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default what is better 110 or 220 if the appliance can be wired for both.

Smarty wrote:

I don't see why either 220 or 110 supply will inherently have a lower or
higher power factor. The current and voltage should not necessarily have any
phase shift differential because of the voltage difference.

On the other hand, winding losses for a given horsepower motor should
increase due to a lower voltage and thus a higher current being required,
unless the motor has been wound with considerably larger gauge wire. Unless
the motor has been designed and built to compensate with lighter parts
elsewhere or lower friction elsewhere, it seems that a lower voltage 110
volt / higher current motor would be less efficient.

Smarty

That makes sense. There are I^2*R losses in the motor as well as the
feed wiring. I would hope they're not large relative to the work done,
though.

Thanks.

"CJT" wrote in message

Tony Hwang wrote:

krw wrote:

In article feNbh.404818$R63.89414@pd7urf1no, says...

CJT wrote:

Steve Barker LT wrote:

Electric motors always run more efficiently at the higher voltage

Why?

Less drop in the supply.

and start

better also. Less current draw during startup also.

Hi,
Why? Power factor!

Do explain!

Hmmm,
Just simply KVA vs. Wattage for a given load. The close each other, the
power factor is approaching unity(1). I don't want to go into details.
Class room stuff.

We know what power factor is.

But why do you think it's voltage dependent in a fashion that favors
higher voltage systems?