Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default How powerful a bandsaw motor is powerful enough?

wrote:

What I'd like to know is, if the OP goes for an 18" bandsaw like this,
what does he do when he needs to rip two 20" X 96" pieces from a
single sheet of plywood?

I cut those with my phone.

My plywood storage racks aren't in my own workshop and they don't have
my business name over the door. OTOH I don't need to pay rent on the
space, I don't have capital tied up in the vast range of stock, and
best of all there's a a guy there with a lovely plywood panel saw who
can cut anything I want to any size I want.

If it's a cut simple enough that I can describe it over the phone, I
just have them do it before I pick it up. Tomorrow morning I need to
pick up a sheet ripped into 16" strips. I could have ripped this down
myself, but I'd need to tidy the workshop first to fit an 8x4 through
the cabinet saw, and borrow a friend to help carry it. Having the
supplier (Avon Plywood) do it for me instead saves me a _lot_ of time
and trouble, and the extra cost of cutting charges would barely pay the
extra tea bill of having assistants over to help out.