Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fireplace "literally breathes life into your room"

Aidan wrote:

If you want to know what the Corgi bunch think of them, read this;

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread....7473&tstart=45

Edited highlights;
Slide; "The catalytic converters only last so long, and people are
unlikely to get them replaced when they are spent. This means they lose
the ability to convert CO into CO2, and start killing people."

While I share your concerns about them generally, this point is not
accurate. People have been using unvented gas and paraffin fires for
many years with no catalysts, and though not risk free, lack of
catalyst does not result in death. It removes a layer of safety from
the equation. For death to occur you also would need a fire that burns
incorrectly, and lack of ventilation. I've been in various buildings
that used simple old non vented gas burners, and have always walked out
alive. The atmosphere they create isnt especially pleasant, but not
lethal.

NT