Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default 2" Flex drain pipe?

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:21:55 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

The folks that built my little brick bungalow in the midwest back in
'54 didn't screw up everything. Most of it is pretty solid.

The 2 24k certified time bombs I'm aware of involve drain pipes
in kitchen and bath that were sealed inside the wall.

The bath hasn't failed quite yet. In the kitchen I've had to tear
thru tile and plaster/steel-lath just to find the juncture of a 2"
lead drain with a vertical roof-vented cast-iron stack. I'm not even
certain how to get the corroded, leaking pipe out, let alone how to
get new stuff in, as 2/3 of the length is behind the cabinet/sinktop
which can't be moved.

Does there exist 2" flexible drain pipe that meets common bldg.
codes for such an application? If so, any description etc would be
much appreciated.

TIA,
Puddin'

Maybe beating a dead horse - Could you drill a hole thru
the flooring under the sink (just this side of the finished wall).
Drop down to the basement ceiling joist space below and
make the run from there.

Very difficult as I built a spare bedroom under kitchen
20+ years ago. Framed window is right under drain pipe.

Connect the new drain to the existing cast iron vent
with a couple of 45 EL's to offset into the wall and a Fernco.

Tying into the stack is beyond my plumbing abilities.

Since you will have a 1 1/2" trap, the drain
can be 1 1/2" (PVC) since it does have a vent.

Correct.

I had to get a plumber in. He cut the lead near the
joint, used a 2"-to-1.5" coupling to get pvc drain in.
Lead stuff inside the wall looks damned scary to po'
me.

I did as much as I could ... still gotta custom build
cover, etc.

Much thanks,

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,