Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Wells Mark Wells is offline

Default How powerful a bandsaw motor is powerful enough?

Toller wrote:
I am taking a turning course at a local HS. They have a 24" Powermatic.
With a worn out blade it cuts 12/4 oak like butter. My 14" 1hp would cut
it, but much slower and less precisely.

What kind of blade does the HS have and what kind do you have
(material, width, tooth pattern and tpi)? I still think that the blade
may be the main difference. If the blades wanders back and forth as
you cut, then it is dull. You can watch that happen as you push the
wood through the blade.

Also, I have found that if you have some kind of misalignment in the
board, fence, or table that will cause the board to bind the blade,
that it will be significantly harder to push. I have definitely
experienced that when resawing, but I don't think I have ever
experienced that with 4/4 stock.

Mark