Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default How powerful a bandsaw motor is powerful enough?

In article , says...

"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

I have a severe space problem. No room to upgrade the TS. My hope is to
upgrade the BS and get rid of the TS. Some people claim it works
wonderfully; others agree with you.

Too damn right it works. I don't own a table saw, I don't want one and I
have
never needed one. I rather have a couple of narrow assembly tables take up
the
space. And I worry a lot less about counting my fingers.
Between the BS and the Radial Arm I can achieve anything I want to; 8'x4'
sheets I cut with the skilly in any event.

What do you use your RAS for?

Cross cutting, roughing out lap joints, making tenons. Very very rarely I might
rip a weathergroove or do something like that. Mitres are a little tricky cause
the forces on the blade tends to deflect the angle on the arm, but then I
expect something similar to happen on tablesaws.

-P.