Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Clamping Cauls

In article .com, "Mike" wrote:

wrote:
You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of
another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by
hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's
now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like
this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on
tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)

Wouldn't that result in a board that is 'skinnier' in the middle?

Depends on which side of the bow you cut on. Cut on the concave side, and it's
thicker in the middle; cut on the convex side, and it's thicker at the ends.

I thought that for a clamping caul you wanted the board to be 'thicker'
in the middle.

You do.

Maybe I'm confused about what you are describing, though...

The description sounds like cutting on the convex side, which is not what you
want. Using the same technique, though, and cutting on the concave side, seems
to me that it should work just fine.

--
Regards,