Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Clamping Cauls

I'm thinking of making some dedicated clamping cauls out of maple, and
was wondering about dimensions. Say I use 8/4 stock, how "tall" should
they be, and given that thickness and height, to what radius should I
round them? (They'll be 40" in length.) I'm planning on making up a
template for them, and then shaping them with a router. Any rule of
thumb for this? (heh. any boondock saints fans?)
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 6:47 pm, "Jay Pique" wrote:
I'm thinking of making some dedicated clamping cauls out of maple, and
was wondering about dimensions. Say I use 8/4 stock, how "tall" should
they be, and given that thickness and height, to what radius should I
round them? (They'll be 40" in length.) I'm planning on making up a
template for them, and then shaping them with a router. Any rule of
thumb for this? (heh. any boondock saints fans?)

All right, I've done a bit of googling and found a few different
techniques for estimating how much crown to use. Now for the math
jocks. I'd like to have my cauls be of a constant radius, so I can use
the whole length or any portion thereof. If I want to have a 40"
length with a crown of 1/10" in the middle, I'm drawing an arc of what
radius? Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "Jay Pique" wrote:

All right, I've done a bit of googling and found a few different
techniques for estimating how much crown to use. Now for the math
jocks. I'd like to have my cauls be of a constant radius, so I can use
the whole length or any portion thereof. If I want to have a 40"
length with a crown of 1/10" in the middle, I'm drawing an arc of what
radius? Thanks.

2000.05 inches (166 feet 8.05 inches)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
Jay Pique wrote:
I'm thinking of making some dedicated clamping cauls out of maple, and
was wondering about dimensions. Say I use 8/4 stock, how "tall" should
they be, and given that thickness and height, to what radius should I
round them? (They'll be 40" in length.) I'm planning on making up a
template for them, and then shaping them with a router. Any rule of
thumb for this? (heh. any boondock saints fans?)
JP

You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of
another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by
hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's
now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like
this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on
tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "Mike" wrote:

wrote:
You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of
another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by
hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's
now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like
this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on
tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)

Wouldn't that result in a board that is 'skinnier' in the middle?

Depends on which side of the bow you cut on. Cut on the concave side, and it's
thicker in the middle; cut on the convex side, and it's thicker at the ends.

I thought that for a clamping caul you wanted the board to be 'thicker'
in the middle.

You do.

Maybe I'm confused about what you are describing, though...

The description sounds like cutting on the convex side, which is not what you
want. Using the same technique, though, and cutting on the concave side, seems
to me that it should work just fine.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 9:56 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, "Jay Pique" wrote:

All right, I've done a bit of googling and found a few different
techniques for estimating how much crown to use. Now for the math
jocks. I'd like to have my cauls be of a constant radius, so I can use
the whole length or any portion thereof. If I want to have a 40"
length with a crown of 1/10" in the middle, I'm drawing an arc of what
radius? Thanks.2000.05 inches (166 feet 8.05 inches)

Oh. I'm gonna need a bigger trammel.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 11:29 pm, () wrote:
You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of
another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by
hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's
now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like
this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on
tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)

Maybe someone with a CNC router could start selling templates. Until
then, I think this is the way to go.

JP

PS: I'll give someone $40 for a 4' CNC'd arc with a 2000.05" radius.
Plus shipping. 3/8 or 1/2 inch baltic birch or similar plywood.
Seriously.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of
another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by
hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's
now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like
this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on
tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)

Maybe someone with a CNC router could start selling templates.**Until
then, I think this is the way to go.

I think you're all getting carried away. I just took a hand plane and cut what
seemed to be adequate. Been using them for years. Don't overcomplicate
things.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

It'll cost you a hundred bucks just to turn mine on.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Nov 29, 11:29 pm, () wrote:
PS: I'll give someone $40 for a 4' CNC'd arc with a 2000.05" radius.
Plus shipping. 3/8 or 1/2 inch baltic birch or similar plywood.
Seriously.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris, check your email.
JP

On Nov 30, 6:36 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Jay Pique (in om)
said:

| On Nov 29, 11:29 pm, () wrote:
|| You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top
|| of another, screw through one end into the board below. Now,
|| etiher by hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so
|| it's now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's
|| stressed like this, screw down the other end to the lower board.
|| Then cut on tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit
|| to FWW I think)
|
| Maybe someone with a CNC router could start selling templates.
| Until then, I think this is the way to go.
|
| JP
|
| PS: I'll give someone $40 for a 4' CNC'd arc with a 2000.05" radius.
| Plus shipping. 3/8 or 1/2 inch baltic birch or similar plywood.
| Seriously.

Would you like a 40" arc in a 48" piece - or the arc across the entire
48"? I'd be happy to take you up on that if you'll accept 1/4"
tempered hardboard or spring for the BB.

The 1/4" material is less expensive to buy and ship; and can be used
to produce additional templates out of whatever you'd /really/ like.
[ B'sides, I already have the hardboard in the shop :-) ]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

I'm thinking of making some dedicated clamping cauls out of maple, and
was wondering about dimensions. Say I use 8/4 stock, how "tall"
should they be, and given that thickness and height, to what radius
should I round them? (They'll be 40" in length.) I'm planning on
making up a template for them, and then shaping them with a router.
Any rule of thumb for this? (heh. any boondock saints fans?)
JP

Take a look here http://www.newwoodworker.com/ they got complete
instructions on making them plus lots of other hints. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
Mike wrote:

wrote:
You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of
another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by
hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's
now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like
this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on
tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)
--

Wouldn't that result in a board that is 'skinnier' in the middle? I
thought that for a clamping caul you wanted the board to be 'thicker'
in the middle.

Maybe I'm confused about what you are describing, though...

Mike

whatever, if one board is skinnier in the middle, waht does that make
the board it was cut from? Actually, it doesn't matter, IMHO ideal
would be a caul that was curved and of equal thickness & width (Kind
of like HD lumber but more consistent ). Sometimes with a caul, you
may want to put a clamp at each end; then you want the convex side
facing against the "clampee" Other times, a single clamp in the middle
will be adequate; then, you would want the concave side of the caul
against the workpiece.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW (in et) said:

| It'll cost you a hundred bucks just to turn mine on.

Your machine beats the daylights out of mine for precision...

....but mine turns on a lot easier :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Nov 2006 14:53:38 -0800, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

On Nov 29, 9:56 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, "Jay Pique" wrote:

All right, I've done a bit of googling and found a few different
techniques for estimating how much crown to use. Now for the math
jocks. I'd like to have my cauls be of a constant radius, so I can use
the whole length or any portion thereof. If I want to have a 40"
length with a crown of 1/10" in the middle, I'm drawing an arc of what
radius? Thanks.2000.05 inches (166 feet 8.05 inches)

Oh. I'm gonna need a bigger trammel.
JP

There are other methods to use. A trammel is great for a direct cut,
but there really are other ways to get this.

FWW had an article in there mag a couple of years ago called "Cutting
big curves"
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Wish I had one like yours sometimes though.

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
CW (in et) said:

| It'll cost you a hundred bucks just to turn mine on.

Your machine beats the daylights out of mine for precision...

...but mine turns on a lot easier :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:10:18 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of
another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by
hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's
now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like
this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on
tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)

Maybe someone with a CNC router could start selling templates.**Until
then, I think this is the way to go.

I think you're all getting carried away. I just took a hand plane and cut what
seemed to be adequate. Been using them for years. Don't overcomplicate
things.

You beat me to it. For that slight of a curve and given that cauls
are not german timepieces, eyeball it with a #5 and start gluing.

Dave Hall

Clamping station Markndawoods Woodworking 2 July 5th 06 02:42 AM
Clamping a T Bill Schwab Metalworking 1 April 21st 06 11:11 PM
Need help w/ clamping James Owens Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 05:33 PM
clamping force igor Woodworking 10 March 15th 05 10:21 PM
Clamping presure Art Ransom Woodturning 3 December 19th 04 06:49 PM