Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default How powerful a bandsaw motor is powerful enough?

"George" wrote in message
t...

"Toller" wrote in message
I am contemplating replacing my 14" bandsaw and tablesaw with a bigger
bandsaw. I think I have a handle on the good and bad points of that
scheme. (but if you have any profound insights...)

My 14" is 1hp and certainly wouldn't rip fast enough to replace a TS. The
bigger ones are 2hp up to 5hp. How big do I have to go before it will
rip 4/4 oak satisfactorily? (sure, I cut 8/4 ocassionally, but not often
enough to worry about it.) I would prefer to keep it on a 20a circuit,
but can certainly put in a 30a circuit if 3hp won't cut it.

If you can't rip 4/4 or even 8/4 as fast as you can control it with a one
horse, you're going to want a real monster.

Better to consider your saw by the width of blade it will tension than the
ponies in the bottom. That's where the accuracy comes in. Get something
in the 18-24 range that will take a fairly thick 1" or better blade, and
if there's an option, you can go for the higher rated motor. 20A
(actually ~10 continuous) @ 230 will haul a couple horse easy, which is
about the upper limit for single belt, so I'd look for double or ribbed.

I had my eye on the 21" 3hp Grizzly. I just didn't want to be "penny-wise,
pound-foolish" by not spending another $500 and getting either something
better or more powerful.

Keep your tablesaw. You can maneuver everything you're using the bandsaw
for over that top, and everyone needs a good flat assembly area.

You know, that a darn good idea. I would have to leave the space behind the
BS empty anyhow; I can just stick the TS there as an outfeed table! I
already, due to lack of space for anything else, use it as an assembly table
and router table.