Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Cleaning circuit boards (Smoke Machine Fluid)

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

There's a particular commercial board that I repair in large
quantities, which gets very dirty with food residues, in some cases.
It is all conventional leaded and surface mount R's, C's and semis.
Has a few pin-type, and box header type connectors. No enclosed items.
No coils. I wash these with hot water and normal washing up detergent.
I squib some detergent on first, then flick on some hot water from a
running tap ( faucet ), using a nylon-bristled long-handled
dishwashing brush. The detergent can then be worked up into a lather
with the brush, and the board given a good scrub, both sides. It is
then thoroughly rinsed under the running hot water, then firmly shaken
to remove the bulk of the water, and finally placed on end in front of
a fairly powerful fan. It is totally dry inside a couple of minutes,
and looks like new. Have never had any issues with any kind of short
or long-term problems, following carrying out this cleaning.

Arfa

I've run circuit boards through my automatic dishwasher using Calgonite(no
rinse agent),but I prefer a drying oven (not 150 degF) with a slight
negative pressure inside to draw out moisture.This was particularly good
for hi-Z DMM boards,often solving leakage problems.

At TEK-Indy and Orlando,we used a sprayed Kelite solution(commercial
degreaser),water rinse,and into the drying oven for 3 days minimum,but that
was for whole instruments.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I like to use Naptha, it seems to leave components untouched, but
dissolves most residues from circuit boards.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann