Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default How powerful a bandsaw motor is powerful enough?

In article , says...

I am contemplating replacing my 14" bandsaw and tablesaw with a bigger
bandsaw. I think I have a handle on the good and bad points of that scheme.
(but if you have any profound insights...)

My 18" saw has a 2 horse motor and I haven't been able to slow it down, nor
make it labour. I have some fairly fine blades at the moment (6 tpi down to 14)
and the speed limit is inherent in how much sawdust the blade can carry out of
the kerf.
Lots of power to spare, in my opinion, on a 6" ripping depth. Might be
different if I went to a 3 tpi blade, I can't say since I haven't tried yet.

-P.