Posted to rec.woodworking
sweet sawdust sweet sawdust is offline

Default How powerful a bandsaw motor is powerful enough?

Band saws are wonderful tools for cutting crooked edges in wood. Table saws
are wonderfull for cutting straight edges in wood. While you can do either
on either saw each has it's best use. If you want to get straight edges
with a band saw you will need a lot of skill or a planner and jointer to
help out. Your best bet IMO is to make room to upgrade the TS or get a RAS
and learn to use it.
"Toller" wrote in message
I am contemplating replacing my 14" bandsaw and tablesaw with a bigger
bandsaw. I think I have a handle on the good and bad points of that
scheme. (but if you have any profound insights...)

My 14" is 1hp and certainly wouldn't rip fast enough to replace a TS.
The bigger ones are 2hp up to 5hp. How big do I have to go before it will
rip 4/4 oak satisfactorily? (sure, I cut 8/4 ocassionally, but not often
enough to worry about it.) I would prefer to keep it on a 20a circuit,
but can certainly put in a 30a circuit if 3hp won't cut it.