Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Clamping Cauls

Radius = 2000.05 inches.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Nov 29, 6:47 pm, "Jay Pique" wrote:
I'm thinking of making some dedicated clamping cauls out of maple, and
was wondering about dimensions. Say I use 8/4 stock, how "tall" should
they be, and given that thickness and height, to what radius should I
round them? (They'll be 40" in length.) I'm planning on making up a
template for them, and then shaping them with a router. Any rule of
thumb for this? (heh. any boondock saints fans?)

All right, I've done a bit of googling and found a few different
techniques for estimating how much crown to use. Now for the math
jocks. I'd like to have my cauls be of a constant radius, so I can use
the whole length or any portion thereof. If I want to have a 40"
length with a crown of 1/10" in the middle, I'm drawing an arc of what
radius? Thanks.

JP