Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default 1st project for a total noob...

wrote:
Hi all. I'm trying to build a fairly basic tv stand for my first
project. I plan on using 3/4 hardwood plywood for the 5 sides of the
case. Approx. size of the box is 14"x18"x24". I planned on mitred
joints for the top, bottom and sides to avoid the ply showing. Is this
a good idea for plywood? Doesn't seem very sturdy. What other joints
are appropriate for plywood case joinery that would be flush? Also, I
assume I would cover the plys showing from the face of the box with
regular hardwood. This would necessarily be 3/4" strips, is this
correct? Whats the best way to join the hardwood to the exposed plys?
Are these parts of plywood suitable for glueing or even some more
advanced joint. Am I stupid for using plywood? It just seems difficult
to find real wood in the larger width dimensions to make case sides.
Most planks I've looked at are no more than 12" wide. Thanks for
listening to these stupid questions. I'm trying to teach myself with
only books, since I don't personally know any woodworkers. Thanks, Peter

Peter,
You're on the right track using hardwood ply for this application.
However, I think mitering all those corners is too ambitious for a
first project. You really have to get all your ducks in a row to get
such a long mitered joint to fit. Unless you have access to some
pretty sophisticated equipment, you'll have a real hard time cutting
your pieces at the precise angles required.

As an alternative, consider using 3/4 X 3/4 solid wood strips at each
edge . You can even use contrasting wood and treat it as a design
element. Glue the strip to the edge of one piece of plywood and after
it has set, then glue the other piece of plywood at 90 degrees to the
first. Edge-gluing plywood works, but doesn't make a really strong
joint; so you don't want to count on that joint to hold your box
together. Try to leave room to glue another 3/4 X 3/4 strip INSIDE the
box along each edge so you'll can take advantage of the much stronger
face-to-face bond. Everything will get nice and sturdy when you glue
the back in place.

Good Luck, and Have Fun

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle