Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default 2 phones numbers on 1 phone line (4-wire)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:41:41 -0500, "BETA-32"
wrote:

I should probably know this, but....

I have one 4-wire phone line running from the main incoming phone connection
box to a standard phone jack. I want to add a second phone jack next to the
existing one for a second phone line, and I don't want to run a new wire.

So, here's what I am assuming:

1) Inside the existing phone jack, leave the red and green wires from phone
line connected to the red and green connectors inside the phone jack.

2) Then take the black and yellow wires from the phone line and connect them
to the red and green connectors inside the second phone jack for the second
phone line.

Terry is right. Just buy a splitter. It looks like one of the things
that have a modular plug and two modular jacks, about an inch by an
inch big, for getting two phones out of one jack. But a splitter will
have a "1" on one jack, and a "2" on the other jack. The 1 side willl
have the red and green and the 2 side will have the black and yellow.
(The more common kind, the "2 in 1", won't have any numbers because
both outputs are the same.)

You can also tell by looking into the jacks. The "2 in 1" will have 4
copper springs inside each of the jack holes.

The splitter will only have two spring wires in each, the center two.
The leftmost and right most of the four slots will have no wires.

I know what to do with the wires on the other end (at the incoming phone
connection box).

But, is number 2 above correct?

If so, when matching the yellow and black wires to the red and green
connectors inside the phone jack, is it better or correct to connect the
yellow wire to the red terminal and the black wire to the green terminal?

Or should it be yellow to green and black to red?

I don't know but the splitter takes care of it.

Thanks.