Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Cleaning circuit boards (Smoke Machine Fluid)

Bob Urz wrote:

Antony N. Lord wrote:
I'm doing scheduled maintenance on a number of PA system amplifiers
located in a night club.

Normally these machines get a clean with compressed air and optional
paintbrush for stubborn fur balls.

Some clubs use smoke machines and this oily fluid frequently finds its
way in to equipment.

Is my best cleaning strategy for cleaning amps affected by this
problem to liberally wash the PCB with isopropanol and let them dry?

Removing the boards would have to be the only way I suppose as in-situ
cleaning, aside from creating problems with excess solvent, means the
underside of the board doesn't get done.

Optionally I can use methylated spirits (denatured ethanol) as a
cleaning solvent which is MUCH cheaper than isopropanol here although
probably not as effective in terms of removing oily residues.

Any feedback appreciated!

Cheers, Anton.

Short of using some dedicated flux remover or PC board cleaner in a can,
here is one thing you can try: WD40. SPray on WD40 and scrub with a
small paint brush, tooth brush or Q-tips. I had a old pioneer board last
week i tried with alcohol and such and it would not come clean or would
leave deposits on the board. The WD40 seemed to do the trick.

I have also tried small portable steamers with limited success.

Bob

News==----
Newsgroups

I've had pretty good luck with Simple Green and a scrub brush (tooth
brush for hard to reach spots).

jak