Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default What is this discoloration in toilet?

wrote:
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this?

Colbyt wrote:
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank wrote:
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is amazing with mineral build-up, but you have to let it soak
for quite a while - several hours to a couple days. What I would
recommend is if you are going away for a weekend or otherwise traveling
for a few days, turn the water supply off on the toilet, flush it until
you have little-to-no water left in the bowl, pour in a few cups of
vinegar, close the bathroom door and leave.

When you come home, use the toilet bowl brush to dislodge any stubborn
bits of mineral, turn on the water and flush. You should get rid of
most, if not all, of the mineral build-up. If there's anything left,
try one of the milder cleansers such as Bon Ami...I would stay away
from the chemical cleansers at first, just because I'm not sure how
they'd react with the vinegar (which is basically acetic acid) and what
fumes might be created. After a couple flushes you might be OK to use
the chemical cleaners.

I did this recently with my shower head, which had a TERRIBLE calcium
build-up, and the vinegar worked like a dream.