Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Electrical outlets near doorways.

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:48:35 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:56:54 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article . com, "Teo2006"

wrote:
Can any one tell me if there is a code requirement specifying that
electrical outlets must be placed within X number of feet next of a
doorway ? Thanks for your help.

Yes, there is. The NEC requires that no point on a wall be more than 6 feet
from an outlet, measured along the wall. This means, in effect, that there
must be an outlet within 6 feet of any doorway, and not less than every twelve
feet thereafter. This does not apply to closets, hallways, or staircases, or
to walls less than 24 inches long -- and there are more stringent requirements
for kitchens. Consult the Code for all the gory details if you wish, but
that's the essence of it.

Just curious. I dont have a code book handy. Is this just for
residential homes and businesses? What about barns and garages?

Homes. Not barns. Not garages. Don't know about commercial installations.

OK, thats what I wanted to know. I suspected this was only homes but
was not sure. This barn is 18ft X 40ft. and I only have 2 outlets in
the actual barn, because thats where the animals go. But I do have
one on the front wall and one on the back wall in case I need them.
Both are GFI, and the romex is run thru steel conduit up to 8 feet on
the walls, so animals cant chew the wires. (Some horses are notorious
for this). At the same time, I have a small feed room built on the
back of this barn, which is "my space". I have 4 outlets inside that
tiny 7ft X 10ft room. But you know how that goes, radio, tv, power
tools, electric fencer, grain mixer, electric space heater (in
winter), and more. Heck, I might need another outlet soon....

Thanks

[snip]
In all honesty, where I live, no one is going to care how many outlets
I have, but I am just curious.

Then do as I suggested: consult the Code for details.