Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall Dave Hall is offline

Default Sawstop Cabinet Saw

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:51:47 -0500, "Rob Lee"
wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
. ..

snip
If you're really interested in information on the SawStop in actual use
and
the amount of activations, I'd suggest you query Robin Lee of Lee Valley
Tools. Most if not all of the saws within Lee Valley Tools have been
replaced with SawStops. I think LV has in excess of a dozen saws. I don't
know if he will respond, but Robin should be able to give you an honest
evaluation of LV's experience with activations, faulty or otherwise.

Good saw, well made.

Have had no misfires, or injuries, and planning to keep it that way.

We do keep a spare cartridge on hand though...maybe the likelihood of
misfire goes up if you don't?

We do not use dado sets anymore - so no experience there....

Cheers -

Rob

Being a commercial user with a number of units at different locations,
I assume that you did some sort of internal evaluation of the
probability of this company staying in business for a reasonably long
period of time to provide parts and service. However, it seems to me
that absent some sort of significant penetration into the other saw
manufacturers, either voluntarily or by gov't force, (or via a
merger/buyout) that Sawstop will find it difficult to stay in
business. I don't know of any other tool manufacturer that can stay in
business selling only a single (very high end) model of tablesaw and
no other tools of any sort. The fact that the saw is in a price range
that can't possibly generate a mass market (as mass markets are
defined in a current consumer oriented world) can't help the old cash
flow out either. I kind of see the current saw as a means of proving
the technology both to other saw manufactureres and to government
regulators more than as an actual going concern business product - but
hey, I am not anywhere near in the market for a $3,000 saw that
wouldn't fit in my shop and I know thjat even if mandated it can't be
retrofitted to my Shopsmith, so I really have no dog in this fight.

Dave Hall