Posted to alt.home.repair
hombrewdude hombrewdude is offline

Default Plumbing in new washing machine - drain is 1-1/2" pipe

I am in the basement.
If there is a problem, I can just pull the hose and put it back in the
sink.

I don't think using a 2" pipe spliced into a 1-1/2 is going to do much

Bob F wrote:
"hombrewdude" wrote in message
oups.com...
My old machine was routed direct to the laundry sink.
I bought a new machine, and I want to get the plumbing out of the
sink..

All of my drain pipes in my 30yr old house are 1-1/2" ABS

My kitchen sink drain runs directly behind my washing machine
Sink is upstairs, machine is in the basement.

so...

I plan on adding a 1-1/2 tee near the floor
Off the T a p trap
Off the p trap a standpipe - taller then the washer machine
Then attach the washer machine hose to the top.

Any problems with this?
I have read I should have 2" drain pipe. but all of my pipe is 1-1/2"

I believe code for a washer without a tub is 2". I know of one case
where 1 1/2" was used, and significant rot was caused by frequent
small overflows over a period of years.

Bob