Posted to alt.home.repair
woodarama woodarama is offline

Default Plumbing in new washing machine - drain is 1-1/2" pipe

Speedy Jim wrote:
hombrewdude wrote:

My old machine was routed direct to the laundry sink.
I bought a new machine, and I want to get the plumbing out of the
sink..

All of my drain pipes in my 30yr old house are 1-1/2" ABS

My kitchen sink drain runs directly behind my washing machine
Sink is upstairs, machine is in the basement.

so...

I plan on adding a 1-1/2 tee near the floor
Off the T a p trap
Off the p trap a standpipe - taller then the washer machine
Then attach the washer machine hose to the top.

Any problems with this?
I have read I should have 2" drain pipe. but all of my pipe is 1-1/2"

It won't be "correct". The new trap will not be vented
and waste flow from above can suck the trap dry.
You *could* add a mechanical vent to the new trap.

If the kitchen trap doesn't have a vent, it will
surely gurgle when the washer empties.

Jim

my situation was the same as yours and the kitchen sink did gurgle when
the washer drained.how i fixed this was to put a t and a short piece of
pipe on the kitchen sink drain and a "ventless vent" sold at hd for
places that don't have a vent.basically its a oneway fitting that lets
air in but not out.