Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop Cabinet Saw

Doug Miller wrote:

Do a Google Groups search -- at least one person has posted here, reporting a
false trip of which he says he has first-hand knowledge.

Did a Google search .. still cannot find verification of a false-trigger
... ..
never said it didn't/couldn't happen .. just that I can't track it down.

It's *completely* true. Again, do a Google Groups search -- this was discussed
in great detail here about two years ago. SawStop *did* in fact petition the
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, requesting that their proprietary
technology become mandated, and there was a post here that referenced the CPSC
filing. This is not a wild unsubstantiated figment of someone's imagination.
It's a fact.

I did locate info. verifying that the owner did, in fact petition to
have "Sawstop-like" technology mandated on new saws made in the U.S. ..
... BUT .. .. ONLY after having met with officials from other tool
companies who resisted his technology ONLY in the interest of their own
bottom-line. Face it .. if Powermatic/Delta/Grizzly adopted this
technolgy, they would have one heck of a time selling off and supporting
their old stock. THEY don't care about you or your fingers .. .. they
care about corporate profits .. .. PLUS .. .. they are afraid of being
sued at some point in time for not having adopted a known safety
technology. According to my Google search, he was told by one major
tool representative that IF his device ever came to market, THEY could
easily go bankrupt. After going toe-to-toe with folks of that caliber,
I really don't blame him for pulling out all the stops and trying his
petition tactic. I don't really agree with that tactic but I do
understand it.

How does the SawStop prevent *kickback* ?? The whole point of the device is to
prevent *amputations*.

Riving-knife .. .. and a well-designed one at that .. .. BUT .. .. you
still have the option of removing it, hence my final comment about
ALMOST making kickbacks impossible, but saving your fingers if you
circumvent it.

I noticed you conveniently "snipped" all of the factual data that was of
a positive note .. .. ..