Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop Cabinet Saw

I had no idea about the false stops, which could be an issue at $200 or so
with a good blade.

Where are you guys finding "data" regarding false triggers ?? ?? ??
I've not been able to track down a single verified instance !! !! !!

BTW .. a replacement cartrige is $59.00 added to the cost of
repair/replacement of whatever blade you were using when the device
triggered. I triggered the device on two occasions where I worked ..
both were demonstrations and intentional .. we were using a 40 tooth
blade in the demo, and in each case, 3 teeth were embedded in the
cartridge. 3-4 replaced teeth on a good blade should run less than $15
at most sharpening shops. Even if you are talking about replacing a
Forrest blade .. I just ordered two from Amazon for $68.00 each. Now,
let's take an imaginary trip to the Emergence Room and start adding up
the $$$$$$$. FWIW .. in both instances, the blades were ATB grind,
and you could easily tell from the damage that ONLY ONE TOOTH ever
touched the hot dog.

I am also not aware of the "facts" surrounding the alleged attempt by
the inventor to get the government to make his device a mandate. I've
read several posts making some accusations of that, and feel that it is
probably at least partially true. What I don't undersatnd is, what
does a marketing blunder on his part have to do with keeping my fingers
on my hands ?? I've read some posts declaring "I'd probably buy one IF
he didn't try to blah, blah, blah" No matter WHAT HE DOES, I want to
KEEP MY FINGERS.

YES .. $4,000 is a lot of money for a saw .. .. ..
YES .. $100 or more to replace blade & cartridge sounds like a big
investment .. .. ..
YES .. the SAWSTOP is an excellent saw and a wonderfully designed saw
even without the brake .. .. ..

oh yeah .. .. ..
YES .. it WILL cost you in excess of $40,000 to have an amputated finger
reattached, not to maention the paing, suffering, loss of work, loss of
use of the appendage, etc.

The more you study the dynamics of a kickback and it's associated
perils, the more sense the SAWSTOP makes. Used correctly, it will
almost eliminate the possibility of a kickback, and the blade brake WILL
protect you in the event you do something stupid and cause one anyway.