Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Jointer Trouble

wrote:

: There is a very widespread misconception that it has to be old (or made
: with old tools and techniques) in order for it to be considered
: "craftsmanship". I've seen the same thing you relate here. A lot of
: antiques are poorly designed and poorly constructed.

Not only are a lot of surviving antiques poorly made,
consider the large number of pieces made in the past that
didn't survive -- often due to shoddy construction. I'd
venture a guess that most furniture made in the olden days was
of not very high quality. What we see is what managed to last, due to
decent craftsmanship and/or design.

There are a few
: examples (like the Stradivarius violin) that reflect a level of
: craftsmanship which is lost to history. But, they are darn few. The
: knowledge, skill, understanding, and technology available today enables
: craftsmanship on a level which couldn't even be dreamed of 100 years
: ago.

Absolutely true.

-- Andy Barss