Posted to alt.home.repair
jolt jolt is offline

Default Remove and repair section of old kitchen wall

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

'allo,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest, built in
'54, original kitchen.

I need to remove maybe 2 sq. feet of the wall to replace a
corroded drain pipe. Wall is ceramic tile in front of traditional
plaster on steel lath. After repair of drain, I need to repair
wall. Never worked with tile before.

How to do it?

It occurred to me that I *might* be able to cut thru both grout
and plaster/lath and remove a square without destroying the tile
(if I can come up with the right saw apparati). Might this be
practical? If so, how might one *replace* the removed square,
permanently mounting it back in the wall?

Or do I bark up the wrong tree? :-)

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...

I assume a basement and cast iron pipe in 1954 contraction.

You can also replace the pipe by cutting it before the last connection to
the stack, remove the pipe from this connection then replace with PVC pipe
coming up through the floor and cabinet at the rear of the cabinet. If the
pipe in the wall is corroded it is possible the remaining pipe to the stack
is in similar condition. A little more plumbing involved but you don't have
to do major work to the wall.