Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Jointer Trouble

On 24 Nov 2006 20:35:57 -0800, "Chrisgiraffe"
wrote:
If anything, shouldn't we
be mad as hell about the tool manufacturers who contract all their work
to be done in Chinese sweatshops and pretend to the American public
that they're still getting the same quality they used to get in 1950?
Or how about the fact that public high schools make education regarding
hand made crafts (wood and metal working) seem like a second class
education fit only for criminals- even though much of what we gain
through science and industry is based upon it?

Oh sure, I *am* mad at them- and not mad at Ed at all. I hope you
weren't misreading my motives.

I think those who bash Ed really need to step back, have a beer (or
wine or water or whatever makes them take it easy) and refocus. We
have a common interest. Why make things painful for those who want to
help it along?

There's a subtext you're missing here- precisely *because* of the
points you've made above, there is a very good reason to advocate
keeping the hobby accessable to everyone- and not just all becoming
cheerleaders for the latest innovation.

If a new guy jumps on this list, and begins to think that he needs
$500,000 in tools and measuring devices, a 120'x80' shop, and exotic
hardwoods to make a simple foot stool or a bird feeder, he's probably
just going to skip it all together and buy one from the discount
store. $170 is a lot of cash to some folks, myself included, and
there's plenty of value in helping people figure out how to do a nice
job with the tools they have at hand. We just need to stop trying to
figure out which one is "right", because they both are.