Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell Steve Russell is offline

Default On finials and lids - Comprehensive Article on Waxes

Hello,

What are your requirements? What will you be using the wax for and how much
do you want? Are you looking for a cream or paste wax, or bulk solids...

On 11/20/06 8:00 AM, in article , "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:26:31 +0000, Steve Russell wrote:

Hello,

I have an excellent article that I wrote on different waxes and their
characteristics on my website. It goes into great detail about the various
waxes and offers application protocols for use in a woodturning environment.
Click on the Library button and you can view/print the article for your
reference.

Carnauba Wax in particular... Is the hardest natural vegetable wax, with a
penetration of only 2 dmm at 25 degrees Centigrade and only 3 dmm at 43.3
degrees Centigrade. It is brittle and non-tacky with a melting point of
approximately 84 degrees Centigrade. Although Carnauba Wax produces a high
lustre, it is not well suited for items that will be handled frequently.

Microcrystalline Waxes are far superior in this instance due to their unique
characteristics. Macrocrystalline waxes offer good moisture resistance, but
do not offer the broad range of protection of their Microwax siblings. If
you have any questions after reading my article, please do not hesitate to
contact me. Thanks and best wishes to all of you!

While it's nice to know that there are all these different kinds of wax,
googling, for example, "polyethylene wax" doesn't get any hits that will
sell in less than truckload quantities except for a couple of outfits
selling what appears to be snake oil in a bottle on ebay. Some suppliers
would be helfpul.

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website:
www.woodturningvideosplus.com

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment