Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Wood preservative

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy wrote:
"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?
Put it inside a nice shed?

Soak the end grain overnight in a bucket of preservative.

Ah. Vinegar and piclikng spice perhaps?Goies great with mangoes...

Seal it with something when the preservative has dried ( seal the end
grain that is ). The favourite parts of a door frame to rot are the
lower parts of the uprights, and the cross bar if water isn't kept off
it. Don't sit the uprights on the floor if possible, especially if it
is prone to getting damp. I sat mine on square cut bits of slate tiles
when I repaired my garage door frame, as slate is impervious to water.
That's the theory anyway!

Andy.

Forget about preservative. Stop water getting in in the first place by
rubbing candle wax into all the edges, especially end grain. Quick,
cheap, easy, and there is no better waterproofer known to man. It never
dries out and is flexible enough to accommodate any amount of movement
in the wood.