Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Wood preservative

Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Put it inside a nice shed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Put it inside a nice shed?

Soak the end grain overnight in a bucket of preservative. Seal it with
something when the preservative has dried ( seal the end grain that is ).
The favourite parts of a door frame to rot are the lower parts of the
uprights, and the cross bar if water isn't kept off it. Don't sit the
uprights on the floor if possible, especially if it is prone to getting
damp. I sat mine on square cut bits of slate tiles when I repaired my garage
door frame, as slate is impervious to water. That's the theory anyway!

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Put it inside a nice shed?

Or use it as a pattern to make one from more suitable wood that will not rot
within 3 years

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Thanks.

Arthur

Cuprinol wood preserver, they do a range so get one that suits your pocket,
I use the all purpose because it protects against dry rot too, although this
is not required in a shed.
If it's already cut to size etc and you don't need to saw into it for
anything, stand each length in a bucket with about an inch or two of
preserver in it, this will be sucked up into the end grain, while it's in
there you can apply it to half it's length, then turn it over and do the
same with the opposite end, it only needs a minute or two to soak right up
into the grain, this is where most rot starts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Encase it in glass fibre and epoxy. Nothing else will stop it rotting at
the first sight of a winters day.

It IS B & Q, after all..

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Put it inside a nice shed?

Soak the end grain overnight in a bucket of preservative.

Ah. Vinegar and piclikng spice perhaps?Goies great with mangoes...

Seal it with
something when the preservative has dried ( seal the end grain that is ).
The favourite parts of a door frame to rot are the lower parts of the
uprights, and the cross bar if water isn't kept off it. Don't sit the
uprights on the floor if possible, especially if it is prone to getting
damp. I sat mine on square cut bits of slate tiles when I repaired my garage
door frame, as slate is impervious to water. That's the theory anyway!

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?
Put it inside a nice shed?

Soak the end grain overnight in a bucket of preservative.

Ah. Vinegar and piclikng spice perhaps?Goies great with mangoes...

Seal it with something when the preservative has dried ( seal the end
grain that is ). The favourite parts of a door frame to rot are the
lower parts of the uprights, and the cross bar if water isn't kept off
it. Don't sit the uprights on the floor if possible, especially if it
is prone to getting damp. I sat mine on square cut bits of slate tiles
when I repaired my garage door frame, as slate is impervious to water.
That's the theory anyway!

Andy.

Forget about preservative. Stop water getting in in the first place by
rubbing candle wax into all the edges, especially end grain. Quick,
cheap, easy, and there is no better waterproofer known to man. It never
dries out and is flexible enough to accommodate any amount of movement
in the wood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Encase it in glass fibre and epoxy.

I thought styrene was the preferred resin for fibre work?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Encase it in glass fibre and epoxy.

I thought styrene was the preferred resin for fibre work?

Styrene is a component of polyester resin, in general.
Epoxy is generally slightly higher performance in many cases.
Probably not meaningfully in this one.