Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Andy is offline

Default Wood preservative

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
51 wrote:
Builders are about to start building a block shed
in my back yard. I bought a cheap door frame
kit from B nQ. So how best to treat it for protection
from the elements?

Put it inside a nice shed?

Soak the end grain overnight in a bucket of preservative. Seal it with
something when the preservative has dried ( seal the end grain that is ).
The favourite parts of a door frame to rot are the lower parts of the
uprights, and the cross bar if water isn't kept off it. Don't sit the
uprights on the floor if possible, especially if it is prone to getting
damp. I sat mine on square cut bits of slate tiles when I repaired my garage
door frame, as slate is impervious to water. That's the theory anyway!

Andy.